Most folks already know to take Vitamin C, drink plenty of fluids and to get rest when they are sick. You may not be aware of some on this list. While doing some or all of these won’t guarantee you are protected, they significantly lower the risk. If you do find yourself exposed, I think you’ll be impressed how quickly you bounce back.
- Elderberry syrup. This one needs to be a staple. Keep it in the fridge all winter long. Give to everyone in the house at the first sign or mention of sickness. It not only boosts the immune system, but it is also an influenza preventative. You can check out a post to learn other elderberry benefits here.
- Turmeric. You know, legend has it that the “gold” that was given to the baby Jesus by the three wise men was actually turmeric which is also known as “golden spice.” So in a sense they gave him the gift of health. We Westerners and just catching on to what Indians have known for years and years: natural turmeric has medicinal value. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer and has many many more health benefits. I was curious how to decide which turmeric/curcumin I should take (curcumin is the powerful constituent in turmeric) and what characteristics to look for. I love this post from Dr. Weil whose information I trust. And you can purchase the turmeric I use here.
- Raw local honey. Raw local honey boosts the immune system, can help with allergies, and soothes sore throats. It has so many health benefits. Don’t confuse raw local honey with that cute honey bear you get at Walmart. Very little benefit there. I have written an entirely separate post on raw local honey if you want to learn more.
- Probiotics. Do you take one? Everyone should take a good probiotic. Life 9 by Young Living is a great one. Why are probiotics so important? Marketing geniuses have programmed many to think all bacteria and germ exposure is bad. We are trained to Lysol and Clorox wipe everything, when in actuality, we are ridding our surfaces of both good and beneficial bacteria and germs. You don’t have to take my word for it. See what the Environmental Working Group has to say here. Same way, when we trustingly take that probiotic, we are killing the good and bad bacteria in your bodies, which is why so often you will see, they sicker some folks get the sicker they get. Antibiotics should only truly be in order when there is a bacterial infection like strep for example, but it has become commonplace unfortunately to give it for ear infections and other sicknesses. When you deplete your body of that good bacteria, you have none to fight off future illness. My advice if you absolutely must take an antibiotic is to take a probiotic daily to replenish that good bacteria supply.
- Ningxia Red or a comparable antioxidant drink. When you or anyone in your household is down and out, or if you have been exposed to anyone who is, reach for all the blueberries, açaí, raspberries, and goji berries you can get your hands on. Or take me at my word when I tell you that Ningxia Red has one of the highest levels of antioxidants you can find. It contains the rare Ningxia wolfberry. For those of you who may not know, Ningxia China has the highest longevity in the world, and it is said to be a result of their consumption of the Ningxia wolfberry, the key ingredient in Ningxia Red. You can purchase the Ningxia Red Starter Kit here.
- Thieves Essential Oil Blend. I seriously would not want to live without Thieves. Immune system booster powerhouse. It contains cinnamon bark oil, for one. Here’s a tidbit: viruses can’t exist in the presence of cinnamon bark oil. Thieves contains it. Viruses live in the spine. I apply Thieves to the spines of all my people on the regular. As I am writing this I’m thinking of four ways I used it just this evening alone. Thieves on the throat and spines of my youngest and husband who said their throats hurt “a little bit.” I added it to my girls’ bath salts because tis’ the season. Thieves in the diffuser for the same reason. Thieves in a spoonful of honey, also for my husband to soothe his throat. A great way to get started with Thieves is either the Thieves kit which includes Thieves and the Thieves line of cleaning products, or the Young Living Premium Starter Kit which includes Thieves as well as a high quality diffuser and the other main essential oils you would need to get started. You can find both of those here.